Reston Zoo is looking for a new licensed veterinary technician/Keeper to join our staff. We are a family friendly zoological park located on 30 acres in the middle of Fairfax County, Virginia. The collection includes small mammals, birds, primates, reptiles, domestic and exotic hoof stock.
Reston Zoo is seeking a motivated individual that can provide experienced technical, medical and animal care support to staff regarding the health and maintenance of the animal collection.
- Licensure within the state of Virginia within 90 days of hire
- Must be proficient in administration of oral and injectable medications
- Proficient in fecal examinations of various species
- Must be able to perform daily animal care and husbandry
- Must be able to lift at least 50lbs
- Will be required to work weekends and some holidays
- Maintain the inventory of drugs and supplies including when drugs or supplies expire
- Perform regular fecal exams
- Works with the Zoo Veterinarian in conjunction with General Curator
- Assists veterinarian during rounds for routine and emergency exams
- Responsible for animal treatments as instructed by the veterinarian
- Responsible for maintaining medical records in conjunction with General Curator
- Provide a healthy environment by cleaning/disinfecting animal habitats, exhibits, cages and holding facilities.
- Inform, assist and direct guests as needed
Salary negotiable based on experience; Insurance stipend; Paid vacation.
Maggie Petruska– Reston Zoo Curator